Tuesday 29 March 2016

This Is Sad! Kikuyus Trending On Twitter And The Tweets Will Break Your Heart!

This is truly sad. I always thought tribalism was a thing with our parents and the generation just after them… The so-called generation Y – the guys who are 35years old now. But what I am seeing tells me I am either naive or just daft. A little of both perhaps

I went on twitter today, something I must admit I rarely do anymore – no really, Twitter is dying. Anyway, when I got on, I saw a trending topic called #Kikuyus. I shuddered. Perhaps I am jaded but from my experience, nothing positive comes of these tribal hashtags.

And when I checked out, my instincts were vindicated. There was little in the way of positivity. Everything was vitriolic diatribe and, to be honest, I am scared. I am scared for two reasons:

  1. Kenyan youth are clearly tired of the leadership in place and the voices of anger are growing by the day.
  2. Kenyan youth are misdirecting their anger. We are personifying our faceless enemies in the form of a tribe.

We cannot make an ethnicity our enemy. We cannot make an ethnic community a target for our anger. Check out what the tweets were saying:

Then this glimmer of hope:

And it was back to our regularly scheduled programming:

Mpasho News



from Mpasho News » Lifestyle http://ift.tt/1RHRzRe
via Mpasho Lifestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment